Shocking attack in China – level 1
This happens in China. People play chess. Three men enter the chess hall. They have axes. They attack the people.
The chess players get up. They defend themselves with their chairs. The three men run away. People follow them.
People are injured. Two of the men die. One goes to the police station.
Difficult words: chess (a board game), axe (a sharp blade for cutting wood), defend (to protect), injured (to have problems with the body).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you like board games?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos