Shocking attack in China – level 3
This surveillance camera footage shows the moment men armed with axes injured four people in a crowded chess hall in China on Sunday.
Two men can be seen loitering in the hall, until the first man slides an axe from underneath his shirt.
Just as he does, a second man in white can be seen lifting his T-shirt, quickly pulling out another axe and hitting a woman in the face.
Others in the hall quickly jump up, fighting back with chairs.
CCTV footage then shows the men with axes running away from people brandishing sticks and chairs outside the chess hall.
Four people were injured in the struggle with the attackers but their lives were not in danger, China Central Television reported.
Two of the attackers died from serious injuries and a third was arrested.
Difficult words: surveillance camera (security camera), footage (video), loiter (stand), CCTV (security camera), brandish (to wave something around in a dangerous way).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.