Shoes in Paris – level 2
A climate change conference took place in Paris this year. Leaders from all around the world hope to come to an agreement on climate.
A march for climate change was going to take place, but the government forbid it because of the Paris attacks. Organisers wanted to make it up to the people who wanted to take part in the march.
They let people leave their shoes in a Parisian square. Each pair represented a person. Many celebrities, including the Pope, put their shoes in the square.
Difficult words: agreement (when people say “yes” to a plan, they agree with each other = they come to an agreement), march (a walk of many people who want to say something), to make something up (compensate; do something nice to start feeling better).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.