Shooting at a Party – level 1
A house party happens in Rochester, New York, USA. It is a problem for police. Parties are not legal in New York right now. The reason is the coronavirus. People must not meet in large groups.
Rochester police arrive at the house. A mass shooting happens in the house. Around 100 people run down the street. They are scared. The police find two dead people. 14 people have injuries.
The police do not know why the shooting happens. The officers do not arrest anybody.
People in Rochester are angry at the police. In March, officers arrest a black man there. The man dies. There are many problems between people and police.
Difficult words: legal (officially possible), mass shooting (when someone kills more than one person with a gun at one time), injury (when somebody gets hurt).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos