Shooting at a Party – level 3
Two people have been killed and 14 have been left injured after a mass shooting at an illegal party in Rochester, New York State. The victims were aged between 18 and 22, and none of the 14 others suffered life-threatening injuries.
The attack happened at a gathering of about 100 people, which, according to police, was breaking COVID-19 restrictions. Parties are prohibited under the state’s coronavirus restrictions; however, people often do not respect them. When there is alcohol and violence, a disaster can easily happen.
In Rochester, no suspects have been arrested and no motive has been identified. The city’s police have been under increasing pressure over the death of Daniel Prude, a black man who was hooded and restrained during an arrest.
Difficult words: motive (a reason for doing something), under increasing pressure (when people are often telling you that they are not happy about something), hood and restrain (to put a hood on someone so he cannot see and to keep under control).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.