Shooting in a Czech restaurant – level 3
At least eight people and a suspected gunman have been killed in a shooting in a restaurant in the Czech Republic. Locals say the gunman, who’s thought to be in his sixties, burst into the restaurant in the town of Uherský Brod at around lunch time.
It’s been reported he had two guns and began shooting indiscriminately. Several people were injured in the attack with one woman said to have suffered serious chest wounds. Some twenty people were thought to have been in the restaurant at the time.
The town mayor has ruled out the possibility that it was a terror attack, saying it was an isolated incident. Police have said the gunman was mentally unstable.
Difficult words: suspected somebody (somebody who is thought to be guilty of a crime), burst into (to enter fast and with a lot of force), report (to say in the media), indiscriminately (without thinking), wound (an injury to the body), mentally unstable (his mind was not OK), isolated incident (happening only once).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.