Shooting in Paris – level 3
At least twelve people have been killed and ten injured in a shooting at the headquarters of a magazine in France.
Two masked gunmen reportedly stormed into the Parisian office of a satirical weekly magazine, Charlie Hebdo.
Police have confirmed that one journalist and two police officers were among those who died during the attack. Four people have been seriously injured.
A manhunt is now underway for the killers who were heavily armed and escaped after a shootout in the street with police.
French President Hollande has called the attack barbaric and France has now raised its national security level to the highest notch.
The controversial publication has been attacked in the past for publishing a cartoon that made jokes about Muslim leaders. It also caused a stir after publishing a series of satirical cartoons of Mohammed in September 2012.
Difficult words: headquarters (offices), reportedly (according to what some say), storm (to attack), manhunt (a search for someone who did something bad), armed (having guns or weapons), notch (level), controversial (when something makes people have strong opinions about something), stir (a situation when people talk about something a lot).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.