Shootings in Rio – level 2
Police in Rio de Janeiro killed 558 people from January to April of this year. That is 89 more people than in January to April of last year. A total of 1,534 people were killed by police in Rio in 2018.
This year’s number is the highest ever. Brazil had programs to reduce the number of police killings, but there was no money for these programs. The number of people killed by the police is going up.
The New York Times says that there is more crime in Rio because of gangs. Rio’s governor wants police to have more power to shoot more criminals to make people safe. Others think that people will get scared of police and crime will get worse. Since 2015, 72 police officers were charged with homicide.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.