A shop sells lost things – level 3
Your lost belongings, including that favorite shirt left behind during a flight to California, might be on sale at the Unclaimed Baggage store in Scottsboro, Alabama.
Operating for over 50 years, this 4,600-square-meter store houses items left unclaimed for at least nine days by airlines. The store, a shopping destination rather than a typical lost and found, attracts visitors like Susan Boatman, who travels from afar to discover treasures. Founded in 1970 by entrepreneur Doyle Owens, the store started when Owens bought unclaimed baggage in Washington DC for 300 dollars and sold out on the first day.
While 99.5% of bags are usually reunited with their owners, the remaining items are sold or recycled, with some even ending up in a museum at the store.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What are some of the most interesting items that have ended up in the Unclaimed Baggage store?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.