Shrine is destroyed – level 1
The Islamic State controls Syria and Iraq. People fight in Syria. Around 420,000 people have no homes, food or medicines.
The Islamic State wants to erase history. Its soldiers destroy a shrine. This shrine is in Palmyra. Palmyra is a city in Syria. The shrine is 2,000 years old.
Difficult words: erase (to remove; to put away), shrine (a holy building; a place of God).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about the Islamic State?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos