Sick People Need Oxygen – level 3
A second wave of coronavirus infections in Nigeria has caused nationwide oxygen shortages.
The ability to help people breathe is under threat in Nigeria with hospitals coming close to running out. In Lagos State, the demand has increased seven-fold since early autumn and more than a half of over 130,000 confirmed cases have been reported in the past three months.
According to the Lagos health commissioner, there has been a global scarcity of oxygen. Authorities have been getting the oxygen from their usual suppliers; however, the amount of oxygen needed depends on how many COVID-19 patients need a very high level of oxygen and how many patients are in intensive care. In November, oxygen plants struggled as demand soared and more plants had to start working at full capacity. Lagos has launched a new oxygen plant and the state plans to build two more.
Difficult words: shortage (a situation in which there isn’t enough of something), scarcity (a situation in which something isn’t easy to find or get), soar (to increase rapidly above the usual level).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.