Signal from space – level 2
Astronomers detected a mysterious signal. They picked it up in the Perseus Cluster, which is 240 million light years away from the Earth.
The scientists don’t yet know the origin of the signal. However, it is already the best evidence of dark matter. Astronomers believe that dark matter forms 85 per cent of the universe. It does not emit or absorb light like other things in space.
The detection of the signal excites people, but we need more data to prove dark matter exists.
Difficult words: detect (notice), emit (to send out), absorb (take in).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What is your favourite field of science?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos