Signal from space – level 3
Astronomers have detected a mysterious signal 240 million light years away from Earth.
The unidentified signal is a spike of intensity at a very specific wavelength of X-ray light, but scientists don’t yet know what the origin is.
Picked up in the Perseus Cluster, one of the biggest objects in the universe, the discovery is said to be the best evidence of dark matter yet.
Astronomers believe dark matter constitutes 85 per cent of the matter in the universe, but doesn’t emit or absorb light like normal matter, such as protons or electrons. These are known to make up the familiar elements seen in planets, stars, and galaxies.
Researchers suggest the intensity coming from the Perseus Cluster could be a signature from the decay of a ’sterile neutrino,’ which are a hypothetical type of neutrino thought to interact with normal matter via gravity.
But, while holding exciting potential, the results must be confirmed with additional data to rule out other explanations and to see whether it’s plausible that dark matter has been observed.
Difficult words: spike (sudden large increase), wavelength (wave of matter such as light or sound or liquid), constitute (make up), signature (remains), plausible (reasonable).
What is your favourite field of science?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos