Singer at Court – level 2
R. Kelly is a famous R&B singer and Grammy-award winner. He is facing serious charges in several US states, which include child pornography or sex-trafficking.
In 2008, there was a trial with Kelly, and prosecutors say that the singer tried to threaten some witnesses and pay money to them.
Kelly is facing charges in his hometown of Chicago, in New York, and in Minnesota. The date of his New York trial was July 7; however, the judge pushed it back until September. Police keep Kelly in Chicago, where he has stayed since July 2019.
Kelly’s lawyer asked the judge to release Kelly because of the coronavirus; however, the judge did not do it. The judge worried that Kelly could make some witnesses change what they say, which already happened in the past. The singer said that he did nothing wrong.
Difficult words: face charges (when a lawyer officially says that somebody did something wrong), sex-trafficking (when someone moves people to different countries or places and these people must have sex with customers), prosecutor (a lawyer who tries to brings charges against someone, and he tries to prove at court that the person did something wrong).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos