Sinkhole at a campsite – level 2
A sinkhole opened up at a beach in Queensland, Australia. It was as large as a football field and 2.7 metres deep.
The sinkhole swallowed tents and campers, but it injured nobody. Around 140 people had to evacuate from the popular campsite.
Difficult words: camper (a camper van; a caravan), swallow (to take in; to cause to disappear), campsite (a site = a place; campsite = place for camping).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this sinkhole?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.