Sir Roger Bannister Dies Aged 88 – level 2
In 1954, Sir Roger Bannister ran a mile under four minutes in Oxford, England. He stayed modest about the record after it happened.
He said that he felt like breaking records was overemphasised. He explained that if one person could run the mile faster than he could, then someone else could probably run it faster than that person.
Bannister worked in the medical field during his life. As he grew older, he suffered from Parkinson’s Disease. He died surrounded by his family at the age of 88.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.