Sisters meet after 73 years – level 3
Linda Hoffman and Harriet Carter learned that they were siblings when they both signed up for Ancestry.com, and then they took DNA tests.
Nearly two years in the making, the first face-to-face encounter finally happened, and the two sisters have been talking on the phone nearly every day since they found out that they were related. The sisters later learned that their parents gave up Carter for adoption shortly after birth, when they were just 18 years old. Both parents died decades ago, taking the secret with them.
76-year-old Carter and 73-year-old Hoffman lived in different US states, and they weren’t able to meet earlier due to the pandemic. Last week, they finally met when Carter arrived in Denver, Colorado, from Sacramento, California.
Even before leaving the airport, the two sisters looked at some of Hoffman´s old photos, providing an idea of missed memories. However, it’s not the time missed that they dwell on. Instead, the women choose to cherish the time that they have, saying that they found each other when they were supposed to.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.