Situation in Fukushima – level 1
A nuclear power plan is in Fukushima, Japan. An earthquake and a tsunami hit in 2011. There is a big explosion.
Many fuel rods are melted. They are dangerous. They must go into special boxes. People are moving them. There are about 1,560 fuel rods which they must move. This can take up to 40 years.
Difficult words: earthquake (when the ground moves), fuel rod (a long piece of fuel – energy), melted (too soft and too much like water).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos