Situation in Fukushima – level 2
An earthquake and a tsunami struck Japan’s Fukushima nuclear power plant in 2011. This led to a big explosion. Many fuel rods got too hot and they melted.
People are cleaning up at the power plant, and it will take them up to 40 years. Workers recently started moving one group of fuel rods into a protective container.
The workers are not doing this in person – they are in a control room hundreds of metres away. They are using a crane which they control from the room. In total, they have to move about 1,560 fuel rods.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.