Situation in Haiti – level 2
Hurricane Matthew destroyed Haiti earlier in October. Around 1,000 people died and 1.4 million people needed humanitarian help.
The UN Secretary General visited Haiti. He saw looting of food trucks. The situation in Haiti is very bad and the people are desperate.
The Secretary General gave a speech. He talked about the looting and said that he does not like it. He promised to send more help. He wants to stop a cholera epidemic before it happens.
Difficult words: Secretary General (a title given to the most important administrator of some organisations), loot (steal), desperate (their situation is so bad that they will do anything), epidemic (when many people get sick from the same illness at the same time).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos