Situation in Haiti – level 3
Ban Ki-moon, the United Nations Secretary General, visited Haiti after Category 4 Hurricane Matthew devastated it earlier in October. The hurricane killed around 1,000 people in Haiti and left more than 1.4 million people in need of humanitarian aid.
The UN Secretary General visited Haiti and witnessed the desperate Haitians’ looting of food trucks and fighting over bags of flour. In his speech, he firmly condemned all attacks against humanitarian convoys.
He promised that the UN was going to mobilise as much resources and medical support to prevent a cholera epidemic, and to support the families of the victims.
Difficult words: Secretary General (a title given to the most important administrator of some organisations), Category 4 (a very large and destructive hurricane), aid (help), desperate (when a situation is so bad that people will do anything), loot (steal), firmly (strongly), condemn (say that you do not like something).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.