Six-year-old girl is saved – level 3
Six-year-old Kwon Ji-Yeon is lucky to be alive after she was rescued from the sunken ferry off South Korea, but her parents remain missing.
This footage shows Kwon being rescued from the ferry yesterday by coastguards.
Kwon, who was separated from her family during the sinking, was treated in hospital after her rescue.
Many people took to social media to try and contact Kwon’s relatives. Luckily, her uncle managed to get in touch.
The South Korean coast guard said rescue efforts are ongoing, but it hasn’t been able to confirm any information on Kwon’s parents or brother.
Difficult words: coastguards (soldiers who protect the ocean near land), social media (programs you use on the internet to talk to other people).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.