Sixteen-kilogram tumour – level 2
This news is about a woman from Peru. When she was 14, a tumour started to grow in her ovaries. It grew for eight years – until her age of 22. Now, doctors removed the tumour. It was sixteen kilograms heavy and 50 centimetres large. It made her look pregnant.
The woman talked about her life with the tumour. She couldn’t work or study. The tumour made her breathing difficult. She could only stay at home where she took care of her nieces and nephews.
The operation was successful and the woman is going to be fine.
Difficult words: tumour (something which grows on/in your body; this thing is not good and is often removed), pregnant (with a baby inside the belly), ovaries (the pair of female reproductive organs which produce ova/eggs).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this woman’s tumour?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.