Sixteen-kilogram tumour – level 3
A woman in Peru has had a sixteen-kilogram tumour removed from her abdomen. The tumour, which reportedly grew inside her body for more than eight years, gave her the appearance of being pregnant.
But the 22-year-old patient, identified as Irianita Rojas Rasma, was not carrying a child. Doctors say the tumour originated in the patient’s ovaries and grew to approximatively 50 centimetres or 20 inches in diametre. The growth was impeding the patient’s breathing and was surgically removed last weekend.
She said, “I couldn’t work or study with the tumour. I just stayed at home. I dedicated myself to taking care of my nieces and nephews. I stayed at home. It was the only thing I could do.”
Thankfully, the operation was a success and Rojas is expected to make a full recovery. Medical experts at the national hospital in Lima are now said to be running tests on the massive tumour.
Difficult words: abdomen (the area in the middle of the body), tumour (a growth – something which is part of your body but is not good), ovaries (the pair of female reproductive organs which produce ova/eggs), diametre (a line which goes from side to side), impede (to obstruct), dedicate (to help with something).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos