Skater takes illegal drug – level 1
Kamila Valieva is a figure skater. She comes from Russia. She is 15 years old. She is at the Winter Olympic Games in China. Valieva and her team win a gold medal at the Games. Officials give them no medals.
A Swedish lab checks Valieva’s blood in December. Valieva has an illegal drug in her blood. The name of the drug is trimetazidine. Athletes can’t use it since 2014. They train harder and longer with the drug.
A court must decide what happens to Valieva. The court will say if Valieva can be in other Olympic events.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.