Skirt of Elizabeth I – level 2
For hundreds of years, an old piece of fabric was used as an altar cloth in a small church. The church is in the country in England.
Historians studied the origins of the cloth, and they found out that it has great historical value. It was once part of a skirt of Queen Elizabeth I. It is probably the only piece of clothing we have from the queen today.
Queen Elizabeth ruled England from 1558 until her death in 1603. People believe that the queen gave the cloth to a good lady-in-waiting who was from the area.
Difficult words: altar (the table in a Christian church), value (if something has a value, it is important), lady-in-waiting (a woman who serves a queen).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.