Skydiver dies in Arizona – level 3
An experienced skydiver has died while taking part in a group world record attempt, after her main parachute malfunctioned.
German skydiver Diana Paris was part of a 222-person group formation over Arizona, when her main parachute failed and her reserve chute opened too late.
Having trained for 18 months, and jumping in good conditions, the skydivers were on their first attempt to break the record, shown here in this video, when the mishap occurred.
The team from 28 countries had come to the U.S. to try and break the record for the largest number to complete two kaleidoscope-like formations before deploying their parachutes. Sadly for Paris, who had taken part in around 1,500 jumps, this would be her last, with her team performing a special skydive in her honour, known as a missing man formation.
The team plan to continue their record attempt throughout the day on Friday, but with 221 skydivers instead of 222.
Difficult words: attempt (try), malfunction (fail to function normally), chute (parachute), mishap (unlucky accident), deploy (open).
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.