Sloth Comes to a Town – level 3
In the early hours of the morning, a sloth surprised neighbours of one town in Peru as it wandered. A shop owner first saw it as he was about to open for business. The wild animal was hanging around, and he called wildlife personnel.
Sloths are a critically endangered species, mainly because of humans and predators. The animals move only when necessary and then very slowly. They sleep around 15 to 20 hours per day and are not very social.
Before the arrival of authorities, locals gathered around to watch the sloth and take photos. Eventually, the wild but cute animal went back to the natural park of the city from where he had escaped from.
Difficult words: personnel (staff), endangered species (a type of animal in danger of dying out), authorities (the people in charge of an area), gather (meet and form a group).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
Have you ever seen a sloth?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos