Slovakia elections – level 1
Robert Fico wins the election in Slovakia. He is a pro-Russian politician and the leader of the SMER-SSD party.
This party gets nearly 23% of the votes in the election. Now, Fico is going to talk with others to form a government. Fico does not like the European Union helping Ukraine with guns. He thinks Slovakia should not send guns to Ukraine. Many people in Slovakia agree with him. They think that the West wants to hurt Russia. Fico wants to help Ukraine in different ways, but not with guns.
People think that Fico may change his words and be more careful when he speaks. But experts say that his victory means a move away from liberal politics in central Europe.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What implications might Robert Fico's victory have for Europe as a whole?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.