Slug’s Body Grows Again – level 2
Japanese scientists studied sea slugs, and they did it for many years. Recently, they discovered something unusual.
Scientists studied more than 80 slugs, and they saw that three slugs cut their heads off their bodies. Scientists thought that the slugs would die, but they moved and ate as usual. After a few days, their bodies started to grow from their heads again. It seemed that it was a way to remove parasites.
Scientists think that there are stem cells on the slug’s head. It is a very exciting discovery which could help in regenerative medicine. Regenerative medicine is when scientists look for ways on how to repair injured body parts or organs.
Difficult words: slug (an animal which looks like a snail without a shell), parasite (an animal or plant which lives on or inside a larger animal or plant and gets its food from it), stem cells (the smallest parts of a body from which any body part can grow), organ (a body part inside the body).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.