Slug’s Body Grows Again – level 3
Japanese researchers have discovered a sea slug that can self-decapitate and regrow a whole new body in a matter of weeks.
The discovery was made by chance when scientists noticed that three of the 82 Elysia slugs decapitated their bodies at the neck and two of them regenerated their bodies within a week. It was a survival method meant to get rid of parasites living inside the bodies.
It’s not clear how the slugs can live without some of their vital organs; however, they can live without a heart probably because their heads are small, and they can intake oxygen from their body’s surface.
A scientist observed one of the slugs whose heart and body regenerated from the tip of its head, which could indicate that there were stem cells in this area. If the research of these stem cells continues, it could lead to advances in regenerative medicine.
Difficult words: decapitate (to cut off the head), vital (necessary to live), stem cells (cells from which all other cells with specialized functions are generated), regenerative medicine (a branch of medicine that heals or replaces injured or diseased cells, tissues and organs).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.