Smacking in Britain – level 1
This news is from Great Britain. When children are bad, their parents can smack them.
Experts from the United Nations advise Britain.
They say that smacking is not OK. They say that parents should not smack their children. They say that when a child is bad, you can do something else. Britain should tell parents what else they can do.
Difficult words: injure (to do something bad to somebody’s body), smack (to hit somebody’s face with your hand), advise (to say what someone should do).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you think it is OK to smack your child when he or she is bad?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.