Small baboon at the Bronx Zoo – level 3
Monkeying around for the first time, this is America’s first gelada baboon in 13 years.
The baby male was unveiled at the Bronx Zoo, however, he doesn’t have a name just yet. But the event was worth celebrating, as it marked the first birth of a gelada in the US since 2002. The baby was born last fall to a gelada female named Fayola.
The Bronx Zoo is the only zoo in America that exhibits the animals.
The Old World monkeys are also known as bleeding-heart baboons for the characteristic red patch of skin on their chests. They are unique among primates for being graminivores – feeding primarily on grasses. The baby baboon weighed only 460 grams at birth, but is expected to reach 30 kilograms as a full-grown adult.
Difficult words: monkey around (to be silly or to act like a monkey), unveil (to show something for the first time), mark (to make something important visible, known), Old World monkeys (monkeys which are native to Africa and Asia).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos