Small meerkats – level 1
Meerkats are born at a zoo in England. They hide under the ground at first. They come up some time later. They make their first steps. There are five of them.
Meerkats live in large groups. One group has around 30 animals. Meerkats live underground. They have long claws for digging.
The babies have no names yet. People don’t know which are boys and which are girls. Difficult words: hide (to be somewhere where others cannot see you), claw (animal’s big nail), dig (to move earth).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
How do you call these animals in your language?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos