Small meerkats – level 2
Small meerkats were born last month at a zoo in England. Their parents hid them in the burrows, but the babies recently got out. They have taken their first steps into the outside world.
Meerkats have four toes on each foot and very long claws which help them dig. Most meerkats live underground in large groups of around 30 animals.
The keepers have not named the babies yet because they don’t know if they are male or female.
Difficult words: burrows (spaces under the ground), claw (animal’s big nail).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
How do you call these animals in your language?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.