Smallest Monkeys in the World – level 3
Two tiny and absolutely adorable baby pygmy marmosets were born at Sydney’s Symbio Wildlife Park.
They weighed just 15 grammes at birth (and were the size of human thumbs) but giving birth to them was, from the mother’s perspective, comparable to a human giving birth to a ten-year-old child.
Their proud parents Gomez and IT were introduced to each other the previous year, when IT, the female, arrived at the zoo. Years of bachelorhood ended for Gomez and the two started a family. Apart from their baby monkeys being very cute, their birth is necessary for the ongoing survival of the endangered species.
They are members of the world’s smallest monkey species, with adults weighing in at around the same weight as an average apple, just 100 grammes. They are facing extinction due to deforestation and illegal pet trade.
Difficult words: tiny (very small), adorable (lovable, cute, sweet), comparable (similar), bachelorhood (living as a bachelor – unmarried/single man), endangered species (an animal kind which may die out soon), extinction (dying out), due to (because of), deforestation (destroying forests).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about these monkeys?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.