Smart chopsticks – level 3
Japanese researchers developed computerized chopsticks that use an electrical stimulation waveform to enhance the taste of food.
Researchers tested the chopsticks on people who follow a low-sodium diet. Japanese people tend to eat a large amount of salt in their diet; however, to prevent severe lifestyle diseases, the amount needs to lower. If people try to avoid salt, they need to avoid their favorite foods, or they need to eat flavorless food.
The chopsticks are connected to a device on the eater’s wrist. A weak electric current moves sodium ions and pulls them in the food. Then the eater’s tongue feels the salty taste enhanced by up to one and a half times.
Difficult words: electrical stimulation waveform (energy that comes out in small regular amounts), enhance (to improve the quality, amount, or strength of something), sodium ion (a chemical that’s necessary in small amounts for some living things).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos