Smog in Beijing – level 1
In Beijing, the air is polluted. The air is 17 times worse than the limits. Highways close. People must stay indoors.
The pollution gets worse in the winter months. It is cold, and people turn their heating systems on. There is no wind, so the smog stays in the city. It does not move away.
Difficult words: polluted (something that is so dirty that it is dangerous), limit (the greatest amount which is OK), heating system (a system which make your home warmer).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Is the air situation better where you live?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.