Smog in Beijing – level 2
In Beijing, poor air quality is making breathing hard for people. The government placed the capital on a special alert. The pollution is 17 times higher than it should be.
As a result, highways closed, construction work stopped, and people had to stay indoors.
Emissions in northern China increase during the winter months because people turn their heating systems on. Also, the wind speeds are low, so the smog does not move away.
Difficult words: alert (a warning to be ready for possible danger), pollution (when something in the environment is dangerously dirty), increase (to go up).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Is the air situation better where you live?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos