Snake at the Doctor’s – level 3
A 7-metre python from the Chester Zoo had to go to the doctor’s office to get an ultrasound heart scan.
JF the python had her annual check-up with ten zoo staff who had to carry her to the vet. While the vet performed the scan, people covered her eyes to calm her down.
The cardiac ultrasound will tell the zookeepers about the snake’s point of view and the health of the heart and the heart muscle. The cardio-experts tried this on giraffes and sharks, but snake hearts are interesting, as they have three chambers. Human hearts have four chambers.
Difficult words: python (a large tropical snake), ultrasound (a special medical scan), cardiac (heart), cardio (relating to the heart), chamber (a space).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What procedures did the vet and zoo staff have to take to ensure the scan was successful?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos