Snake in lettuce – level 3
Alex White from Sydney, Australia, thought that he was watching a huge worm writhing in plastic-wrapped lettuce he had just brought home from a supermarket.
He completely freaked out when he saw a little tongue come out of its mouth and start flicking around.
White and his partner spotted the snake moving as soon as the lettuce was unpacked onto the kitchen table, and they also noticed that the plastic wrapping was torn and that the snake could escape. They quickly stuffed the reptile with the lettuce into a plastic food storage container.
According to local authorities, it was a venomous pale-headed snake that made an 870-kilometer journey to Sydney from a packing factory in the Australian city of Toowoomba.
Difficult words: writhe (to make twisting movements of the body), flick (to suddenly start moving quickly), reptile (an animal whose blood temperature changes with the outside temperature, for example a snake, lizard, or turtle).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.