Snow in Istanbul – level 1
This news is from Istanbul. Around 24 inches (61 centimetres) of snow fall there. This causes trouble. Around 800 traffic accidents happen. More than 300 planes cannot fly.
The Bosphorus Strait is in Istanbul. It is very important. Many ships sail through it. The snow causes the strait to close. The ships must wait.
Difficult words: cause (to make), strait (a narrow waterway for ships to move on), sail (move on water).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Where are you from? Does it snow there?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.