Snow in Istanbul – level 2
The Bosphorus Strait divides Istanbul into its Asian and European parts. It is also an important shipping channel. Around 115 million tons of petroleum products go through there every year.
People often close the strait in winter months because of bad weather. Around 24 inches (61 centimetres) of snow fell in two days recently – more than thirteen ships had to wait.
The snow also caused around 800 traffic accidents in Istanbul. People cancelled more than 300 flights.
Difficult words: strait (a narrow waterway), divide (to “cut” in parts), shipping channel (a narrow area of water for ships).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Where are you from? Does it snow there?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.