Soccer team wins important award – level 3
Since 2018, South Africa’s women’s soccer team finished as runner-up five times at the Women’s Africa Cup of Nations, but this year, team Bafana Bafana (“the women”) won its first title against the home country Morocco.
Player Hilda Magaya scored two times in an eight-minute timeframe to gain the 2-1 victory.
The win also allowed the team to go to the 2023 World Cup in Australia and New Zealand. One player said she was excited to celebrate with South Africans who had recently experienced many problems.
Hundreds of happy fans greeted the champions as they arrived to celebrate their historic win with President Cyril Ramaphosa. The president said that the team promised to return the cup home and they brought it where it belongs.
Difficult words: title (a type of sport award), promise to return home (to say you will bring something back to a home, country, or other place), bring where it belongs (to bring a thing to a place or a people who need the thing).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos