Social media and plastic surgery – level 2
Since the start of the pandemic, plastic surgery procedures became even more popular.
The reason is that many people started to spend much more time on camera. Many social media have filters, which can make the nose look smaller or the skin brighter. Within a second, a user can see how differently he or she could look. Experts warned that some filters made people look too beautiful. But beauty trends change.
In the past, only rich people could afford plastic surgery procedures, but nowadays, almost anyone can change their body. Many doctors change their profession and become plastic surgeons. In some cases, they perform procedures without enough skills. Before someone decides to have plastic surgery, they must do a lot of research, and consider the risk, because plastic surgery is still surgery.
Difficult words: plastic surgery procedure (when a plastic surgeon changes a person’s body), beauty trend (what people consider beautiful or fashionable), afford (to have enough money to pay for something).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
Do you think that the trend of more people wanting plastic surgery is a good or bad thing?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.