Socks and the new French president – level 2
A French shop sells socks with the faces of the eight main candidates in the presidential election.
10 days before people voted in the first round, the shop predicted the winner. Far-fight candidate Eric Zemmour was first, as socks with his face sold best. 29% of customers bought socks with his face. President Emmanuel Macron was second with 24%, and Jean-Luc Melenchon was third with 22%. The socks sold in many places, as people from all over the world bought them. Socks with the face of President Macron sold best in Germany.
People didn’t take the result very seriously. They wanted to have some fun with something basic like socks.
Difficult words: presidential election (when people vote who the president will be), far-right (a political party which is very conservative and doesn’t like changes), basic (simple or very usual).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos