Socks and the new French president – level 3
A French store predicts the results of the first round of the presidential election based on the number of sock it sold.
The store sells socks depicting the faces of the eight main candidates, and 10 days before the vote, far-right candidate Eric Zemmour was in first place with around 29% of sales. President Emmanuel Macron was at 24%, and Jean-Luc Melenchon was at around 22%. These three faces led, and the other candidates were behind.
The company sold thousands of pairs around the world, with Macron socks sold best in Germany, Zemmour socks sold best in Canada, and Melenchon sold best in Greece. However, the vendor said that the main idea was to have fun with everyday products like socks, which could be a unique way to end a campaign.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.