Solar Eclipse – level 2
On Monday, people in South America watch the total eclipse of the sun. It was the only total eclipse in 2020, so it was a very special event for many people.
As it was summer in South America, the sun was high in the sky, and it was easy to watch the eclipse. The weather forecast was not very good, but in the end, the sky cleared, and people enjoyed the total eclipse which lasted two minutes.
A total eclipse of the sun happens when the moon gets between the earth and the sun. The moon shades the sun and it gets dark. The moon needs to be the right distance from the earth to block the sun completely.
Difficult words: total eclipse (when the moon gets between the Earth and the sun and the sun gets dark as a result), shade (to stop the light from getting somewhere), distance (how far something is).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos