Solar plane flies around the world – level 2
Two men who founded a company about solar power are making the first flight around the world in a solar-powered plane.
The pair plans for 25 days of flight without using fuel. The plane can do this because it does not weigh a lot but its wings are as long as a big airplane’s wings. The plane can fly between 30 to 60 miles per hour (48 to 97 kilometres per hour).
They already took off from the Middle East, and they are going to Asia, the United States and southern Europe. In July, they will return to the Middle East.
Difficult words: found (to start), fuel (gasoline for a vehicle such as a plane or a car), weigh (how heavy something is).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this plane?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos