Soldiers give woman a cake – level 3
90-year-old Meri Mion said that she will never forget her last birthday. She celebrated it last week.
Meri was 13 years old when she and her family hid on their Italian farm as German and American forces fought in the last days of World War II. When they awoke to see the US liberation of their village, Meri’s mother baked her a birthday cake, and she left it to cool on the windowsill. However, it disappeared, and apparently hungry US soldiers took it.
77 years later, a special ceremony remembered the arrival of US forces in the town of Vincenza in 1945, and US soldiers presented Meri with a new cake to replace the old one. During the war, Italians greeted US soldiers with cheers, wine and bread. The US and local Italian officials said that eight decades later, the relations were still warm.
Difficult words: liberation (the time to set people free), replace (to put something or someone in the place of something else), windowsill (a shelf below a window).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos